Sunday

Putting Your Office Together

Working from home can be just like working at a real office; there are supplies that you will need to succeed. :)
While paid survey companies will only require your computer and your information, the better paying phone order and customer service companies require additional items. The following are some of the items that I found essential to my work at home job:

1. Quiet work space
This is by FAR the most important requirement. Most phone order processing and customer service companies list this as a priority, since you will be talking to their customers (who think you are actually working from a physical call center, not your home.) Any background noise (ex. baby crying, dog barking) could get you suspended or even fired.


2. Separate Phone Line
All of the companies that I have worked with require that you get a separate phone line for working at home. The reason for this is that they do not want you to get calls from friends or family while you are working. One company I work for will even try to call the phone number you have listed at times that you aren't working, to make sure that you don't pick up.


3. Get A Basic Phone and Headset
Surprisingly, this was actually the hardest step for me when I began to work from home. Most work at home companies require that you get a phone without any of the new features (ex. no voicemail, caller id, call waiting, abiltiy to receive more than one line, etc,) but at the same time, it has to be headset compatible. Additionally, the phones cannot be wireless nor a cell phone. I went to Walmart, Staples, Circuit City and none of them had a phone like this, except one that was over $150 dollars! I finally found a few that I thought were reasonable and meet the requirements. To see the list of phones: Click Here


Additional Office Tips and Requirements will be added soon. To make sure that you don't miss them, sign up for my mailing list in the sidebar. I DO NOT spam, I never will, and I will never sell or give your info to anyone else.

No comments: