Saturday

What the Heck is an EIN???

So you are applying to a work at home company, when suddenly you see that you will have to give out your Social Security Number. I had the exact same problem when I was applying for work at home jobs, as I didn't want to have my identity stolen. Luckily, I found a way around it. Most companies will allow you to enter an EIN as a substitute for your Social.
So what is an EIN, and how can I apply for one?
An Employee Identification Number (also known as an EIN, TIN, Tax Identification Number, FEIN or Federal Employee Identification Number) is:
"The corporate equivalent to a Social Security Number, although it is issued to anyone, including individuals, who have to pay withholding taxes on employees."-Wikipedia
The IRS will use your EIN to identify you as a tax payer, and to see how much you owe them. You will not usually be taxed if your Work at Home income is less than $600.
To get an EIN, visit the IRS's webpage here:
https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp

No comments: